- About WET (Water and Environment Transformation)
The objectives of WET-Africa are to create community enterprises that focus on restoring our endangered rivers to health and animating communities and businesses to separate their waste at source for recycling.
The major themes of our work include Poverty Alleviation, Waterway Rehabilitation, Unemployment, Biosphere/ Environment, Health.
Vision Our Vision is to restore the critical/endangered rivers of Africa to health from source to sea. We also see an enabling environment for: Green Proclamation, Policy Development, Enterprise development and the development of the WET Training Institute.
Our Mission is to provide knowledge and skills in waterway and river restoration, waste separation & recycling at source creating sustainable income for communities, the on-going development of the WET-Africa Charter, energising partnerships with stakeholders, Developing capacity and presenting Train-the-Trainer programmes.
Objectives of WET-Africa include
- Create an enabling environment for integrated waste management and river health
- Provide a database of know-how in waterway rehabilitation
- Design custom made equipment for waterway rehabilitation
- Create Community Enterprises for River Restoration and Integrated Waste Management, including separation of waste at source for resale to recyclers.
- Proclaim the waterways as green corridors and develop a WET-Africa Charter.
- Develop long term partnerships / Ratify Charter with relevant stakeholders; eg Relevant government departments, Recyclers, Corporates, Environmental NGO's. Conservancies, Water and waste forums, Institutes of learning, Community-based organisations and service providers; International organisations and institutions.
- (Already partners with: Sappi, Nampak, Consol Glass, Plastics Federation of SA, Collect-a-Can, Accor/coupons, Deneys Reitz Attorneys (legal), National Association of Conservancies SA, Endangered Wildlife Trust, The Batteleurs (aeriel viewing and photography across Africa), Ashoka Global Association of Social Entrepreneurs (collaboration and networking).
- Provide further opportunities for enterprise development through eco-tourism and community recreational facilities.
- Develop an International Training Institute and living model:
- Build an Eco training centre with relevant accommodation for trainees and delegates for international conferences to showcase WET model / Phase 1, and achievements / ongoing programs
- Establish buildings as Eco-buildings utilising innovative Green Design (bringing in local and global partners and experts) including natural building materials, sustainable energy (solar, hydro, biogas from organic waste and wet-waste), re-using all grey water, water catchment tanks, waste management and recycling, own food production - vegetables, fruit, herbs, eggs, milk, fish, bread and grains.
- Development Centre to be an example of sustainable living practices to be experienced by all trainees and delegates.
- Utilise local labour and local and global expertise and partners.
- Identify leaders to be trained at the centre whilst practical training occurs on existing operating areas of Phase1/ and other programs.